The cryptocurrency market is booming with hundreds of Initial Coin Offerings (ICO) looking for financial support from investors. Not all of these ICO will be successful and all such investments are considered to be high-risk with the potential for high return. So, how do you evaluate which ICOs are legitimate and which will have the best chance of being successful? Through due diligence of course!
Here are some things to look at prior to making an investment:
- Research and learn all you can about Initial Coin Offerings. An ICO is a crowdfunding event to raise money for a new cryptocurrency asset, company, or venture. Unlike an Initial Public Offering (IPO), you don’t necessarily own shares of the company. Instead, you own tokens that can be traded on exchanges; the values of which will rise or fall depending on the success of the venture. Currently, ICO are unregulated so they offer both greater risk and greater rewards for investor.
- Evaluate the ICO venture.
- Research the target market. Just like any other start-up, you want to understand who their target customer is, the size of the market and whether the market is likely to increase or decrease.
- Research the competition. Look at what solutions other companies are providing.
- Ask for a comprehensive business plan and financial plan. Understand how much the ICO is trying to raise and why. Find out know they plan to spend the money raised and determine what their timeline is for product rollout?
- Since there are no legal reporting requirements for ICOs to accurately reports key information to investors, an analysis of peer reviewed comments and positing may prove invaluable. This information must also be taken with a grain of salt however as peer reviews have been known to be swayed or bought.
- Evaluate the community support to determine if the ICO will be supported by reliable exchanges.
- Evaluate the funding and distribution of coins. How many coins will be created and distributed? Not all ICOs are distributing all of the circulating supply of tokens.
- Evaluate the team behind the ICO. After all, you need a competent team to manage substantial funds. A team with experience, integrity and an in-depth understanding of the community and the market is one of the most important criteria for success.
With a proper due diligence, investors can identify the pros and cons of each investment. The ICO market is still in its infancy and will no doubt go through many ups and down. Some ICOs may be more popular than other, trading up quickly. But real questions must be asked to determine if there is something substantial behind the coin to support its continued growth and success.